In January, 2015, San Juan College, in partnership with the University of New Mexico (UNM), began admitting BSN students into the statewide common curriculum through participation in the New Mexico Nursing Education Consortium (NMNEC). Students in the UNM partnership BSN program of study (POS) will graduate with an associate degree in nursing (ADN) from San Juan College and with a baccalaureate degree in nursing (BSN) from the University of New Mexico (UNM). They will be eligible to take the NCLEX-RN examination for licensure as registered nurses (RN). The NMNEC BSN pre-requisites, co-requisites, university specific courses and the program of study are available in the San Juan College Nursing Department. Please contact Jana Harris Nursing Program advisor, firstname.lastname@example.org for BSN information.
Students who complete the Associate Degree in Nursing (ADN) program will be eligible to take the National Council Licensing Examination (NCLEX-RN) for licensure as Registered Nurses (RN). Program graduates may continue their education towards a baccalaureate degree in nursing (BSN) at select four-year institutions.
Nursing is a selective major. Specific requirements for both ADN and BSN programs must be met in order to declare a nursing major. For additional information contact the Office of Admissions or the Nursing Department (505-566-3224). The Nursing Program class and clinical sessions are mainly held during the daytime hours.
Accredited by the Accreditation Commissions for Education in Nursing, Inc. (ACEN)
3343 Peachtree Road NE, Suite 850, Atlanta, GA 30326
Phone: 404-975-5000, Fax: 404-975-5020
Program meets full approval of:
New Mexico Board of Nursing
6301 Indian School NE, Suite 710, Albuquerque, NM 87440
Phone: 505-841-8340, Fax: 505-841-8347
ADN Application Process
Students can apply to the nursing program during an open application period in the fall or spring. The application period opens in September for a fall admission and in March for a spring admission. Review the current application period packet for specific dates, testing instructions and further detailed information.
The following must be completed by the application deadline:
- Apply to San Juan College if not a SJC student and complete enrollment process as a SJC student.
- Complete all prerequisite courses by the end of the fall or spring semester prior to the current application deadline.
- Submit official transcripts for all previous course work from other colleges to San Juan College Enrollment Services. Previous transcripts will be evaluated for possible transfer credit. Updated transcripts may need to be requested if additional courses taken after submitting prior transcripts.
- Submit a current complete SJC Nursing Program Application to the Nursing Department. Program application packets are available in the Nursing Department or on the SJC website during the open application periods.
- Submit current TEAS score results to the Nursing Department through on-campus or off-campus testing.
- Complete all application requirements as stated in the current application packet instructions.
Enrollment in nursing courses (NMNC prefix) is limited to those who have been accepted into the nursing program. Taking prerequisite and/or health science courses that apply to the nursing curriculum does not guarantee acceptance to the program. A grade of ‘C’ or higher must be achieved in every required course. Note: All clinical credit hours are based on a ratio of 1:3 (one credit hour to three 50-minute clock hours)
Students who are accepted into the nursing program will be required to complete a criminal background screening as well as complete and maintain: CPR certification, physical examination, immunizations, student health insurance and travel arrangements to clinical sites.
ADN Program Selection Requirements
To be eligible for the nursing program selection process, the prospective student must have completed the following program requirements by the application deadline:
- Be enrolled as a San Juan College student.
- Have completed all prerequisite courses.
- Have achieved a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75 in the 17 credit hour prerequisite courses and a minimum overall cumulative GPA of 2.0. The GPA requirement must be fulfilled at the end of the fall or spring semester prior to the current application deadline.
- Have taken the current version of the ATI Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) preadmission exam and obtained the minimum eligible score. Previous scores may not be eligible and students may be required to test during the designated open application testing periods. Refer to current application/testing instructions for eligible scores.
- Have submitted a complete nursing program application. A new application is required if reapplying.
- Have submitted all official transcripts.
- Completed all application requirements as stated in the current application packet instructions.
BSN Program of Study Information
As stated above, the BSN Program of Study information is available in the San Juan College Nursing Department.