San Juan College offers a Dental Hygiene program leading to an Associate of Applied Science degree. This program emphasizes the didactic and clinical skills necessary to meet today’s challenging oral health care needs. Students who successfully complete the program will be eligible to sit for the National Board Dental Hygiene Examination, the Western Regional Examining Board or similar regional board, and a state jurisprudence exam for licensure as a Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH). Program graduates may continue their education toward a baccalaureate degree in dental hygiene (BS). Contact the Dental Hygiene department for further information at (505) 566-3642, email@example.com or visit www.sanjuancollege.edu/dental.
Dental Hygiene is a selective major. Specific requirements must be met in order to declare a Dental Hygiene major. Admission is limited and selective. Credit hour ratios: Lecture 1:1, Laboratory 1:3, Clinic 1:4, Practicum 1:6.
The program in dental hygiene is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation and has been granted the accreditation status of approval without reporting requirements. The Commission is a specialized accrediting body recognized by the United States Department of Education. The Commission on Dental Accreditation can be contacted at (312) 440-4653 or at 211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611-2678. The Commission’s web address is: http://www.ada.org/en/coda.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements:
To be eligible for the Dental Hygiene Program selection process, students must:
- Meet with a Dental Hygiene Program advisor.
- Contact the Program to schedule an advising appointment.
- Be 18 years or older by Program start date.
- Have a High School Diploma or GED.
- Apply to and be accepted to San Juan College.
- This is not the same as applying to and being accepted to the SJC Dental Hygiene Program. To San Juan College, go to www.sanjuancollege.edu/apply/. When you apply, be sure to select Pre-Dental Hygiene as you major.
- Submit official transcripts directly to San Juan College.
- Official college transcripts from each college you have attended must be sent directly to San Juan College through an e-transcript service. E-transcripts can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. By sending your official transcripts, we can properly determine which of the prerequisite and general education courses you have taken will transfer. This process may take 3-4 weeks. Be sure to have your transcripts sent in well ahead of the application deadline.
- Have completed all prerequisite courses by the start date of the Program. Prerequisites must be completed with a minimum “C” grade.
- Students are strongly encouraged to complete all general education courses before application to the program. General education courses must be completed with a minimum “C” grade.
- Have a college cumulative GPA of 2.75 or better.
- College GPA is based on the last 24 academic credits (course numbers 1110 and above). Most successful candidates have a GPA of 3.00 or better.
- Have taken the ACT or SAT Exam
- Completed 12 total hours of documented dental hygiene observation time in three different dental offices.
- Submit a completed application by 5:00pm on the first Thursday in April.