San Juan College offers a Dental Hygiene program leading to an Associate of Applied Science degree. This program emphasizes the didactic and clinical skills necessary to meet today’s challenging oral health care needs. Students who successfully complete the program will be eligible to sit for the National Board Dental Hygiene Examination, the Western Regional Examining Board or similar regional board, and a state jurisprudence exam for licensure as a Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH). Program graduates may continue their education toward a baccalaureate degree in dental hygiene (BS). Contact the Dental Hygiene department for further information at (505) 566-3642, firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.sanjuancollege.edu/dental.
Dental Hygiene is a selective major. Specific requirements must be met in order to declare a Dental Hygiene major. Admission is limited and selective. Credit hour ratios: Lecture 1:1, Laboratory 1:3, Clinic 1:4, Practicum 1:6.
The program in dental hygiene is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation and has been granted the accreditation status of approval without reporting requirements. The Commission is a specialized accrediting body recognized by the United States Department of Education. The Commission on Dental Accreditation can be contacted at (312) 440-4653 or at 211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611-2678. The Commission’s web address is: http://www.ada.org/en/coda.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements:
To be eligible for the Dental Hygiene Program selection process, students must:
- Meet with a SJC Dental Hygiene Program advisor.
- For students residing farther than 250 miles from SJC, the advising session may be conducted by phone. Contact the program for further details.
- Be 18 years or older by Program start date.
- Have a High School Diploma or GED.
- Apply to and be accepted to San Juan College.
- This is not the same as applying to and being accepted to the Dental Hygiene Program. By applying to San Juan College, we can properly determine which of the prerequisite and general education courses you have taken will transfer. This is the first step, and without it we cannot determine the eligibility of courses which you have taken. To apply go to www.sanjuancollege.edu/apply/. The cost to apply online is FREE and $10 to apply in person. When you apply, please be sure to mark Pre-Dental Hygiene as your major.
- Send all official transcripts from institutions other than San Juan College to the San Juan College Office of Admissions.
- This process may take 3-4 weeks. Be sure to have your transcripts sent in well ahead of the application deadline! You may request to have your transcripts sent electronically. Please have them emailed directly to the San Juan College Office of Admissions at email@example.com.
- Have completed all prerequisite courses by the start date of the Program. Prerequisites must be completed with a minimum “C” grade.
- Students are strongly encouraged to complete all general education courses before application to the program. General education courses must be completed with a minimum “C” grade.
- Have a college cumulative GPA of 2.75 or better.
- College GPA is based on the last 24 academic credits (course numbers 1110 and above). Most successful candidates have a GPA of 3.00 or better.
- Have taken the ACT or SAT Exam
- Have the scores sent to the San Juan College Office of Admissions and include a copy of your ACT scores with your application to the Dental Hygiene Program by the application deadline. 2020-2021 ACT Exam Information
- Completed 12 total hours of documented dental hygiene observation time in three different dental offices. Dental Hygiene Observation Hours Form
- Submit a completed application by 5:00pm on the first Thursday in April.