Active military will receive the following:
- Application Fee Waived: Currently, there is no application fee for electronic application submission and a $10.00 application fee for paper based application submission. Active military and/or veterans, spouses/dependents will have this fee waived.
- Guaranteed 2 Physical Education Credits (PHED-ELEC): Based on submission of military transcript showing Basic Training requirements and/or showing a minimum of one year of service.
- Priority Registration: New active military and veterans can register the first week of open registration.
- In-State Tuition: San Juan College will grant in-state tuition for all active duty armed forces members and veterans regardless of current state of residency. The following conditions apply:
- Active Armed forces members must self-Identify themselves when applying to San Juan College and submit a San Juan College Military waiver form for verification.
- Veterans must self-identify themselves when applying to San Juan College and provide copy of or discharge papers for verification. Spouses of Veterans may receive in-state tuition with proof of marriage and copy of the Veteran’s DD-214. Tuition Adjustment will only occur after verification of veteran or military status.
- In accordance with New Mexico State Law, any person, their spouse or dependent child, not otherwise entitled to claim residence, who is a member of the armed forces of the United States or armed forces of a foreign country assigned to active duty in the state of New Mexico, will be assessed in-state tuition rates.
In accordance with SB 136 (2009), in order for a veteran who is not a resident of New Mexico to receive in-state tuition rates, the veteran shall use the veteran’s federal educational benefits at a state public post-secondary institution. Conditions apply - work with the San Juan College Veteran Center to determine benefit eligibility.
David Drake, Director
The Veteran’s Support Center focuses on supporting the educational success of U.S. military Veterans and their families at San Juan College. The Center assists Veterans with college entrance and financial aid application processes, adjustment into post-secondary lifestyle, and academic success strategies. Coordination and advisement is provided on career goals, academic planning, GI Bill® and financial aid benefits, personal guidance, and educational support services. In addition, the Veteran’s Support Center can be used as a liaison with other Veteran specific assistance offices and programs. The Center conducts outreach efforts, promotional events, and offers special programs and enrichment activities.
U.S. Naval Community College
Active duty Naval personnel may qualify for tuition assistance through the U.S. Navy for degrees and certificates in the following programs: Computer Science, Cyber Security, Business Administration, and Science. Please consult with your commanding officer.