San Juan College offers a Dental Hygiene program leading to an Associate of Applied Science degree. This program emphasizes the didactic and clinical skills necessary to meet today’s challenging oral health care needs. Students who successfully complete the program will be eligible to sit for the National Board Dental Hygiene Examination, the Western Regional Examining Board or similar regional board, and a state jurisprudence exam for licensure as a Registered Dental Hygienist (RDH). Program graduates may continue their education toward a baccalaureate degree in dental hygiene (BS). Contact the Dental Hygiene department for further information at (505) 566-3642, email@example.com or visit www.sanjuancollege.edu/hygiene.
Dental Hygiene is a selective major. Specific requirements must be met in order to declare a Dental Hygiene major. Admission is limited and selective. Credit hour ratios: Lecture 1:1, Laboratory 1:3, Clinic 1:4, Practicum 1:6.
The program in dental hygiene is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation and has been granted the accreditation status of approval without reporting requirements. The Commission is a specialized accrediting body recognized by the United States Department of Education. The Commission on Dental Accreditation can be contacted at (312) 440-4653 or at 211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611-2678. The Commission’s web address is: http://www.ada.org/en/coda.
Program Admission Requirements:
To be eligible for the Dental Hygiene program selection process, students must:
- Be a high school graduate or have a GED.
- Have a college cumulative GPA of 2.75 or better. College GPA is based on the last 24 academic credits (course numbers 110 and above). Most successful candidates have a GPA of 3.00 or better.
- Have taken the ACT or SAT and have the scores sent to the San Juan College Dental Program.
- Completed 12 total hours of documented dental hygiene observation time in three different dental offices.
- Meet with a SJC Dental Hygiene Program advisor. For students residing farther than 250 miles from SJC, the advising session may be conducted by phone. Contact the program for further details.
- Submit a completed application by the first week in April.
- Have completed all prerequisite courses. Prerequisites must be completed with a minimum C grade.
- Students are strongly encouraged to complete all general education courses before application to the program. General education courses must be completed with a minimum C grade.
- Apply to and be accepted by San Juan College.
If selected, students must:
- Complete all admission and remedial requirements of San Juan College.
- Submit proof of a physical examination, and provide documentation of current immunizations and maintain current immunizations throughout the program.
- Attend a mandatory Basic Life Support (BLS) certification conducted by the program prior to start of classes.
- Present proof of medical insurance each semester.
- Be responsible for all travel expenses to and from external learning sites.
- Complete each course in the curriculum with a C or better to remain in and graduate from the program.